Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Unrealism

I haven't watched a game in weeks, and only then after Te surprised me with a text that our local teams were playing each other in the late game leaving a 3 hour void Fox filled with the Redskins succumbing late to the Eagles. Sometimes the voices stream from the 980 broadcast over the web. Other times I wonder what it tells me that the post can't give us at least one legitimate insight into the team per day. Perhaps 2 or 3 on Monday wouldn't be unreasonable.

I wear my down filled vest, logoed and lettered, everyday I leave the courts. Even today. It was 14 degrees. But I lost my hat, the black one, lined. You know modern. I decommissioned my 70's touch with the pom-pom ball and pull down mask.

I didn't tack on a Joe Gibbs book to my order from Amazon this Christmas. But I can't stand the Vinny Cerrato in the way I can't stand the Cowboys. Whether his moves turn out or don't, his being a part of the Redskins organization negatively affects my self-image. I clamor for Schottenheimmer to say more on the subject.

I remember us bludgeoning the Cowboys 35-7 in 2005 in a show of physical presence that carried us to the playoffs. We slapped them around in a game without lore. And I remember Carlos Rogers dropping a sure interception for a touchdown early in the Pittsburgh game in 2008. I see very clearly that moment our season fell from grace. Similar circumstances in a 2005 playoff game I choose to ignore.

An enlarged team photograph of the 1982 World Champions lays propped at my feet. They still used window unit air conditioning. A yellow glare stains the photo. I left my room that day and upon my return it was there. Sun exposure or perhaps a dog's work. I have my suspicions but then I was too young to know and now it was so long ago.

My flight leaves early the Tuesday morning following the Giants game leaving me to quietly interpret the events on the field being played out before me on ESPN. How will promising execution ever marry the composure still remaining eight games into last season? Campbell does not lead us from down 14 as he did against the Eagles with a very long pass. But he looks at ease with a 3 yard slant.

I can't muster the darkness of weeks 2 through 6, so deep I cannot claim to grasp. I did not schedule my vacation dates around the final three games. Instead I scheduled my flight from Texas on the night we meet Dallas, completely unaware. I hope another selection is made for Sunday night. I wish we did not have a first round draft pick in 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment